Monday, January 10, 2011

Busy New Year, & Mandala 1.0 for Mac

I apologize for not having new printable Mandalas of the Lunar Quarter up! I hope to have one for you tomorrow, on the first quarter moon. It's been a busy new year so far, I've needed a lot of rest.

Does anyone who uses Macs remember "Mandala 1.0," a little shareware program that came out before Mac OS 7.5? It was a nice, clean, fast little program to make kaleidoscopic designs. Today there are quite a lot of kaleidoscopic design programs and filters for graphics programs, however, none of these newer programs feature the ability to simply draw  black lines on a white background, "live" as in instant WYSIWYG.

The newer programs/filters also don't seem to be as versatile: Mandala 1.0 had options for selecting axes from 2 to 32, using the mirror or the spiral method, included a few preset types of lines and shapes, and If the ability to select a "pen" of different widths. If  I changed from 6 axes to 12 axes in the middle of a mandala, or went from mirror to spiral, it didn't affect what I'd already drawn! I created literally thousands of mandalas with that little program, printed them out, gave them to everyone I knew, colored them, even decorated entire rooms with them. It was so easy to use. Everything I've found since seems to be only for creating colored mandalas, or black-and-white mandalas with thick lines and a set number of axes, as well as being limited to mirror and no spiral or vice versa.

If anyone remembers Mandala 1.0 for Mac, and/or knows how to find a similar program for Windows, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment