Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Birthing Mandala

I colored many, many mandalas while I was pregnant with my daughter, especially the last 2 months when I was on bed rest. Some of the mamas in my due-date-group started coloring them also, we found it so relaxing and fun! I started coloring this mandala just after my surges (contractions) started. It really helped to have something creative to do during my labor.

My doula (birth assistant) and I colored a few mandalas together, and I chose this one as my "focus" - I hung it on the wall where I could focus on the center of it, and I was also chanting "Om mani padme hum" with each surge, one syllable at a time. I had a drug-free labor, even though I felt "pain," it felt more like I was on a giant roller coaster - that overwhelming feeling of "I wanna get off but I can't yet, whooo!" The doctors and nurses poked fun at me for laughing and giggling all throughout labor, even transition. When I first got there they doubted I was in labor because I was walking back and forth and smiling and singing ... I had a check, and my cervix was at 6 cm. Mandalas and meditation ROCK!

Later, when breastfeeding, the first few weeks were quite intense, and I had this on the wall near my bed and focused on the center whenever I needed. I've used it as a meditative focus for the stressful times we all go through as mamas. It really helps to have something, anything, you can focus on that sends positive energy flowing through you. Try creating or coloring a mandala and see what happens.

Now my daughter can sit down and meditate in front of it, and instead of a traditional "time out" we call it "time in, to calm down." She really loves it, it's helped her countless times.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment